DEBERE ET ALIA
A quick reference for debere and similar words/expressions.
- necesse esse → absolute necessity
- debere → moral (or financial?) necessity
- oportet → it’s rational to do so, you can not think different
- opus est → It is useful/beneficial.
- decet → it is seemly (a matter of decency)
- iuberi/cogi → To be ordered/commanded/decreed/appointed.
Also, the gerundive may be used:
The Gerundive [...] is always passive, denoting necessity, obligation, or propriety
Also, the gen. + est:
- meum est → I have to do, its my duty
- tuum est → You have to do, its your duty
- gen. + est → someone has to do, its someones duty
the alt.language.latin thread